In my previous blog, I highlighted some of the challenges and the need for transforming the legacy infrastructure due to transitions driven by Digitization, Cloud and IoT. I also highlighted the need for “virtualizing” the network infrastructure.
As a continuation, this blog highlights how Viptela Fabric helps customers move to an architecture that connects users to the applications by virtualizing and simplifying the WAN deployments. Viptela Fabric provides a highly intuitive, policy-driven solution that helps IT abstract network complexity and design for business intent.
Extend Your Network Footprint
Viptela has taken a fundamental grounds-up approach to building this virtual fabric. The fabric is built on top of time-tested and proven principles of networking but using a simplified delivery model. The fundamental principles of Viptela Fabric were built on the following constructs:
- Software Defined:
- True separation of control, data and management planes fully secure and automated end to end.
- Integrated routing, security and policy for optimal connectivity
- Full application awareness across all elements of the system
- Built-in optimization techniques for network and applications
- Cloud: Cloud hosted, managed and delivered architecture that can be consumed quickly and easily
- Scale: Horizontal and vertical scale across the layers to cater to various types of connectivity requirements – today and in the future
- Security: Ingrained authentication, encryption, segmentation, access controls & service chaining to provide the highest form of security
- Open: Northbound access for automation and orchestration. Southbound integration for best-of-breed integration
- Visibility and Analytics: visibility into Application as well as Network performance, historical visibility to forecasting all the way to providing pro-active recommendations on optimizing the network
The end-result was the Viptela Fabric which is a cloud-delivered, open, secure and scalable connecting users to applications across any transport either in the public, private or hybrid cloud. This solution allows customers to build a secure virtual IP fabric by elegantly combining routing, segmentation, security, policy, and orchestration. The resultant network is simple to manage and inherently secure, and provides any-to-any connectivity over IP or MPLS transport networks.
Benefits of Viptela Fabric
- Enables an enterprise or service provider to create an abstracted network on top of a physical network allowing for fine grained controls, the ability to dynamically insert and provision virtualized services and applications including the capability to run a large number of multi-tenant virtual networks without changing the underlying physical network or the infrastructure.
- Extends the enterprise architecture beyond the branch to get the same consistent, overlay, policies and deployment models to the campus, data center and the cloud.
- Deliver an optimal application experience to the end user regardless of the underlying transient network conditions or the location of the applications
- Provides for centralized routing intelligence with clear separation of control, data and management planes enabling for ease of deployment, manageability, scale and segmentation
- Provides for a true “zero trust” secure virtual fabric with business intent policies and control embedded at every hop
- Provides a highly available, resilient fabric with end-to-end network segmentation and enforced network policies based on segments.
- An analytics engine with feedback mechanisms built into the fabric that offers continuous and relevant information about the state of the network
- Simplified and centralized orchestration, provisioning and automation at scale.